Saturday, March 24, 2012

Bountiful Baskets Tomatillos


Broiled Tomatillo Happy Face!


First of all, I can't believe
I am blogging about food for the second day in a row!

Second, of all
how many of you love this
organization?
I had never heard of it.
But go here to take part:  http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/
For $60, I am loaded with fresh, crisp, just-right produce.
{This is my kind of gardening!}
{No weeds, no dirt, no bugs, no worms, no watering.}

So, here I am this morning going with friends to get
fresh produce at 7 a.m. . . . on a Saturday
and blogging about it!

Tomatillo with chile peppers.

When I got home,
I had to call my sister-in-law, Ann,
to ask her what these cute little light green things were
in my Mexican basket.
Tomatillos.

So, here is what I did.
I Googled "tomatillo recipes"
and found
For those of you "gringos", verde is Spanish for green.
Click here to print the recipe with all the details:  http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/tomatillo_salsa_verde/

Thanks to Bountiful Baskets,
voila!
(French for ummm. . . voila!)
So...
Voila! I have all of the ingredients!

1 lb. of tomatillos
1/2 cup of white onions
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1 Tablespoon of fresh squeezed lime juice
1/4 tsp. of sugar
2 jalapeno peppers

Remove the husks from the tomatillo, slice in half, broil 5-7 minutes on foil lined baking sheet.
Broil until the skins start to blacken slightly.
{When I did this, much to my delight, one of my tomatillos blackened into a happy face.}
Put all of the ingredients into the food processor and blend.


Because my jalapenos from Bountiful Baskets looked like this: 


I only used one jalapeno, 1 chile pepper, and a little 3 inch yellow sweet pepper
that I had in my fridge.
I used one bundle of the white/green onions,
and all the tomatillos that I had
plus the other ingredients in the recipe.

I blended them in my food processor



and here is the beautiful
Salsa Verde!

Delicious with chips!



I also tried one of the broiled tomatillos right out the pan,
and it was so yummy sweet just out of the oven all by itself.

With the monstrous 16 inch flour tortillas,
I made taco-beef quesadillas.

I browned 1 lb. ground beef. 
Seasoned with some chopped cilantro (1/4 cup) and tace seasoning.
Mixed with water and cooked until water evaporated.

I used 2 pizza pans lined with foil.
Place a flour tortilla on each pan.
Divide beef between the two.
Sprinkle thick with Cheddar-Jack cheese.
Baked at 350 for about 8 minutes.
Brush 2 more tortillas with butter.
Place on top of beef/cheese tortillas.
Sprinkle with taco seasoning and more cheese.
Bake for about 5 more minutes.
We sliced them like pizza for lunch.

The tomatillo salsa was delish on these also.
Sydney and I liked a bit of sour cream too.

Bountiful Baskets
has made me a food blogger!
Well for today, anyway!


1 comment:

  1. I always wondered what you could do with these! Looks delish:)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome ~ share your beautiful thoughts.