Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Even If . . . I will Dare to . . .


It takes courage.
To be courageous, I once thought, was to be fearless.
To be brave was to not feel afraid.

But I have learned that what I thought was not true at all.
To be courageous and brave,
is to step forward with
stomach flip-flopping
and
knees knocking
and
voices accusing of inadequacy
floating around in the head.


Waiting for it all to feel
comfortable
will
never
happen

for things
that
require
risk
and
vulnerability.


And that is ok.

That is what I am learning
to
life
forward
with.


The "even if's" and "even though's"

will always be there.

But . . . 

I will DARE to do this anyway.
I will DARE to live what I believe
I will DARE to share what I have to offer.



I am learning that
the
scariest things - -
the most
uncomfortable
things

are
often
those
moments
that hold the most value.


A child that I know
told me a story of
daring to take a stand for someone
one time.

There were no high-fives for the stand.
No "good jobs".
No "you did the right thing".

The response . . . 
hurt.

But do we want to do what we do for the response?
Or do we want to really live what we believe?
Do we want to stand for what we know is good and kind
or
look away from injustice or cruelty
and melt in to the background?

Even if people make fun of me,
even if people text about me or talk about me,
behind my back or right in front of my face,
I will be brave and do something.

I spend time with 12-18 year old kids
at home, at church, at retreats, at camp.
They have stories like this.
They have times they melted into the background.
And times they took a stand.

So do I.

Shame tries to burn it's identity brand onto me for the times I chose to melt.
But in that moment,
it's fearful voice was shaming me into fear of being left alone, left out.

Often that pounding heart of fear
is the very indicator
that we should take a leap of faith
trusting that God's amazing grace will be a catching hand
when we go over the edge of uncertainty.
Because His sure grace and foundation
is far deeper than the things that
pressure with fear.


There are loads of thoughts
in my mind
this week as I prepare to share my art.

It happens every time.
The mental accusations of insecurity and inadequacy.

This morning I dreamed that in the middle of setting up my art display,
I had to leave and when I returned
all of it had been stolen.

Fearful thoughts.
Try to make each of us think we are the only one.
The only one who struggles with such things.

But naming it.  Calling it out.
Bringing it to the light.
Allows fear to be seen.

And allows me to identify
what
I want to be true about me.
And what actions I will take
even if . . . 





I am traveling to Pierre, South Dakota,
tomorrow, January 3, 2013,
to set up art
at

My art will be at Prairie Pages Bookseller for the month of January 2013.
There will be an artist reception January 18, from 1:00-6:00.

{Gulp.}

Even though,
I feel like I am putting my whole heart out there,
and maybe people will think my work is amateur or immature,

or maybe they will not even notice,

I will dare to share it for those who may be encouraged by it.

I will dare to be brave-hearted and do it scared,
because my heart always flutters at the things

that
are
valuable.

It is scary every time.
But I am learning
that
if
it is still scary,
if it still feels very vulnerable,
then
it is still valuable,
I am still growing,
still walking by faith,
and trying
new things.

When it starts to be old and boring,
that is when I should really be concerned.



2 comments:

  1. Your work is not only gorgeous, it is thought out, as well as intuitive. It has an aura of quiet and confidence, and your value system is clear. All art, in the end, is for the growth of our own soul. As young as I am in my art journey, I know this to be true. The beauty, in the end, is that other souls who are at the point in life where you created a certain piece, will GET the message, and it will be the perfect timing for them. Its not really about us, yet it is all about us. We hear the still small voice, we respond, we create, we let it go and move on and then someone, down the road, who hits that exact spot where you were when you created it....exclaims....."Oh, that is mine" and takes it home! We heal and minister by doing our own work and the perfect love that is at the root of it all, in the end, casts out all fear, and ego. I love watching your internal journey through the eyes of your creations. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been computerless for 2 weeks...so happy I stopped by today. As always I adore your work and have such respect and admiration for you. I love how you stay TRUE to you! That is my goal in 213. Keep on creating and inspiring.

    Love,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Welcome ~ share your beautiful thoughts.