Friday, June 29, 2018

Making Space to Share Art


About a year and a half ago,
I took my girls to a 
paint-your-own-pottery
get together
at the newly built Red Owl Hall
at Red Owl, South Dakota several miles off SD Highway 34
along the gravel Red Owl Road.
Little did I know,
that day with my girls
would begin beautiful new connections
of sharing art.

That day,
I met Hester Prouty
who quickly became
a kindred spirit,
sharing my love
for
making art,
making space for others to create in community,
and
turning creative projects into opportunities. 



Right away, Hester began sharing ideas with me
and she introduced me to Kerry Burns in Philip, South Dakota.
Kerry had recently opened a coffee shop called ginny's
in a Victorian house painted deep green with purple trim
and transformed inside
with whimsy and charm and happiness.

Ginny's Coffee House {aka Bad River Coffee Company}
is located on Pine Street near the Bad River in Philip.
Kerry and her daughters have hosted several of my art classes
and a fun pop-up artsy event.
This year I will be there with my turquoise tent on August 11.




Hester recently jumped all-in
and set up space to share what she loves
with the Black Hills community
in "The Gap" in Rapid City at the old Landstrom's building
at 405 Canal Street.
Her space is wide open with room to breathe,
high ceilings, brick walls, and industrial chic decor,
and a welcoming, inspiring atmosphere.
Check out this piece from Black Hills Fox:

Hester and Joe are generous with their hands always helping me carry
my heavy and extensive amount of art supplies
and are generous with sharing connections.
At Prouty Pottery,
not only can you paint your own pottery,
Hester opens up space for other artists to share classes,
she has pottery wheel classes,
clay classes,
specialty pottery painting classes,
and she sells her handmade mugs, bowls and pottery pieces.
The space is loaded with possibilities coming to life.

Goodness comes from artistic entrepreneurs sharing friends and space and ideas.
I am so grateful for the connections I am making through Hester and Kerry,
and the space they both have given me
to share my heart
with others
seeking space for creativity.
I see hearts soften, 
eyes open, 
possibility unfold, 
ideas and confidence awaken,
challenges overcome, 
and memories made.

When you travel through Philip,
be sure and stop at ginny's for some Bad River Coffee.

My next class at Prouty Pottery: 
Your Word,
a simple mixed media basics class
is Wednesday, July 25.
You can find all the details and reserve your spot here:

My next Big Bold Wildflower class will be at my home at Shaw Ranch on August 3.
Details and registration here:




























No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome ~ share your beautiful thoughts.