Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Art and Photography Workshop: Wildflowers and Winging It


Oh. My. Heart!
My favorite part of summer
is this.

Prairie Wildflowers.
Give me a pasture of wildflowers and my camera
and you will find a happy Jodi.

Since the prairie wildflowers have exploded here on the ranch,
we have a short window of opportunity
 to take some breathtaking photos in the evenings! 

I am opening up a spontaneous art & photo workshop
 in my White Owl Wings studio at my home by appointment from 
3:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. on the dates of July 5-8 and 11-15. 
Choose which day you would like to come for yourself and up to two more friends. 

Register here: www.whiteowlwings.com

Here's what I have planned:

* Make your own "Winging It" Art piece
 on a round slice of birch wood 
with papers, butterfly diagrams and wire wings 
from 3:00-6:00. 

*Break

* An evening of wildflower "photography safari"
on the prairie through sunset. 
We will take the side-by-side 4-wheeler 
to some of my favorite spots for photos on the ranch.

*Limited to 3 people at a time. 
*Bring a couple friends for a very personal small group art/photo time. 
*Message or call me to reserve your date.
Register at www.whiteowlwings.com
*$60 per person. Bring your own camera. All art supplies provided.

***

So here's a few things I have learned about these wildflower favorites
from my book: Grassland Plants of South Dakota and the Northern Great Plains
by James R. Johnson and Gary E. Larson.

The top photo above of the yellow flower is a Prairie Coneflower.
*"Dakota and Lakota made a tea to cure aches of the stomach, head, or side;
Dakota also made a leaf tea beverage."
*"Cheyenne prepared a solution for relieving the effects of rattlesnake bite and poison ivy."
*"The dark red phase is known as "Mexican Hat" {which you can see below}.


This photo above is a Purple Coneflower, or Echinacea, or Black Samson.

A few interesting things:
*indicator of healthy range; safe for grazing
*when chewed, the root numbs the mouth.
*"root widely used by Plains Indians to treat the following:
snakebite,
stings,
toothache,
coughs,
sore mouth and gums,
neck pain,
rheumatism,
arthritis,
mumps and measles,
and more."
*"The plant was their most important plains herbal medicine."


Here is the Mexican Hat version of the Prairie Coneflower,
a rare find.










I'd love to have you join me
for my Winging It Art and Photography Workshop.
Register Here:  www.whiteowlwings.com


2 comments:

  1. Such BEAUTIFUL photos Jodie!!! I LOVE your Winging it piece!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos and your class sounds like so much fun! Thanks for stopping in to my blog. Glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome ~ share your beautiful thoughts.