Monday, January 1, 2018

Happy New Year 2018


Hello 2018.
2017 has left me tired.
As I read 
social media,
watch programs,
look at book titles,
I see that I must not be alone.

It seems that a bulk of us
are craving slow.
Many of us are on overload.
We need to slow down.
To stop.
To see 
the people
in our own
homes.
To look people in the eye.
Especially those we love.
Instead of staring at another screen.



2017.
It feels like a world away from where I was
when I started this blog.
My children are in an entire new stage.
So am I.
So is the world.
Our nation...


Hard, hard things happened in 2017.
Things that brought me face-to-face with fear.
I made good decisions and I made some poor choices too.
I sure do not have the energy that I used to have
for doing everything just right.
So I don't.
Some times I just get by.
Some days are wing and a prayer kind of days.

Some of my 
favorite moments
in our Shaw family
lives happened in this
hard
awkward
strange
year:

I became an auntie to twins, a boy and a girl.
Our son turned 18 
to the tune of a mariachi band at Casa Bonita's in Denver.
My daughter experienced her first state track meet, 
breaking a school record with her relay team.
Our family just enjoyed being together
at a Colorado Rockies game and the Denver Aquarium.
I realized the depths of my husband's dedication to me 
as he cared for me after knee surgery in September.


I have lots swirling in my mind
about 2017.
But it all feels too vulnerable and tender to share.
So it must not be the time.

But I am ready
for a new year.
I am ready to
embrace imperfection
and give myself
grace
for a life
that is always
a work in progress.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome ~ share your beautiful thoughts.