Friday, June 14, 2013

Walk The Line


So, I love fence lines.
I love wooden posts.
Not new steel posts that my husband prefers.

I especially love mangled, old, lichen-covered cedar posts.
They are so much more interesting, yes?
So much more character.

I don't see what needs to be fixed.
I see textures and colors and light.
But I am seeing a bit more with my husband's eye
and trying to think like him before I post pictures.

So, this one is pretty good, yes?  
Straight lines, no missing staples.



Bit by bit, I have started walking the fence lines on the ranch.

Shhhhhh . . . don't tell my husband.
He'll make me carry a backpack 
with a can of staples and a wire stretcher.

But a crazy thing I realized
gathering pairs in the small pasture behind our house, one day,
was that I had never seen the northeast corner of that pasture.
And it is right behind my house!





So, I decided to start
walking the fence lines
of the ranch here at home.



It is surprising
how much newness is right around the corner
or right over a hill.

Hatched eggs
or
buds ready to bravely bloom.


As I walk,
I find that I discover my favorite places
that I return to again and again.


And I also have new country to walk
when I get bored
or when the seasons change
and the walk in the creek that I love in the fall and early spring
is overgrown with tall grasses
that hide snakes and ticks.

My paths of walking change with the seasons.
So do the treasures I discover along the way.

When I walk the fence line,
I hum along to Johnny Cash who sings in my mind,
I keep a close watch on this heart of mine
I keep my eyes wide open all the time
I keep the ends out for the tie that binds
Because you're mine
I walk the line.

Reminds me of one of my favorite verses from Proverbs:
Above all else, guard your heart, for it is a wellspring of life.

Walking the line ~ the fence line ~ and lines of following God
are ways that I guard my heart.
A walk on the prairie brings me quiet time where I can hear God's whispers.
Where I see beauty that heals and that renews hope.
I see God's ways and His lessons everywhere when I walk the fence line.

I have posted this excerpt on my facebook page several times
from Johnny Cash's autobiography and I'll share it here as well because I love his heart here:

"I want to write a song that has something to SAY. A song that will have a lot of meaning not only for me, but for everybody who hears it--that says I'm going to be true not only to those who believe in me and depend on me, but to myself and to God-- a song that might give courage to others as well as myself . . . " 
~ Johnny Cash about "I Walk The Line"

I am a fan of Johnny Cash.
More so since I have read his autobiography
and even watching the movie Walk The Line.
He really was a walking miracle.
He should have died so many times.
He could have remained in the pit of addiction for the rest of his days.
But his story of redemption and living a new life
is one of my all time favorites.
Whenever I have doubts,
I think about his story,
his journey and struggle and walk with God,
falling down, back in the pit, but getting up and getting out.
His battles, his losses and his victories.
Sometimes, I find it helpful to hang onto my faith in God, and what He can do with a life
because of Johnny Cash's life story.
Imperfect, stained, scarred,
but filled with hope and new starts and redemption.
Broken and beautiful.
Raw and true.

*
*

Below is my last bunch of wildflowers that I photographed this morning.
While I was crouched down on the gravel road, 
I could hear noise 
and I glanced up.



Our neighbor's horses
were looking at me with unashamed curiosity.


Coming closer and closer
to see what that crazy lady is doing on the ground.
It was like I could hear their conversation,
even though they never uttered a word.

 

So slowly like they thought they were sneaking.


And then my beagle, Toby, caught scent of a rabbit,
and started his beagle bray.
This distracted them for a moment.

{See there is one of those steel posts . . . not as interesting is it?  It's even leaning!}



And then they remembered that they were
trying to figure out what I was and what I was doing.

Precious.
Childlike curiosity.

Little treasures
from walking the line today.




*
If you'd like to walk some fence lines with me this summer,
have your eyes opened to see treasures on the prairie,
get a bit more creative and comfortable with your camera,
and be brave with learning some new ways to express yourself with art,
even if you are a complete rookie with a camera and art supplies,
check out my art and photography retreat-style summer classes here:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome ~ share your beautiful thoughts.