Monday, January 24, 2011

Established Hands & Guarded Hearts


Two new pieces I put together
over the past few days.

The first is inspired by
my prayer for
my husband. . .



He works hard as a rancher
here with his family.
Carrying on a legacy
of a great-grandfather
who immigrated from Ireland
over 100 years ago.




It is my prayer that the work of his hands
would be established
~ held up ~ strengthened ~ solidified
by the Lord.




Those of you that work
outside year-round in the weather
are familiar with the yellow chore gloves.
The way they smell when they are new.
The feel of them...
the warmth.
But also the cold
when they get wet.
And the smell of them
in the spring.
When the baby calves
are dropping into the snowbanks
and have to be brought in
on a calf sled
to the barn
or to a calf heater
or to a bathtub
to be saved.
In the middle of the afternoon
and
in the middle of the night
when the snow is blinding
or when
the mud is relentless.
The season will come soon enough.
And several pairs
of these yellow gloves
will be thrown away.
Before the season is finished.



And so I pray
that God would establish
the work of these hands
in these gloves.
Make the work firm,
long-lasting,
well-rewarded
fulfilling.
Established.


~

*

~




The second piece is a verse for me.
Reminding myself
that is ok




to protect my heart.



It is ok
to
have
boundaries.

It is ok to have a fence
with a gate.
It is ok to have walls
with doors and windows
to open and shut.
To welcome in
and to close for protection.

It is ok to protect that which is sacred.

And I hope
to teach
my kids
to establish
their
boundaries
and guard
those
especially
around
their
sacred
heart.
The part
of them
that is for
the few
that have proven
trustworthy
and
for themselves
and God.

When it is ok
to
open
and
when it is ok
to
shut.

Learning.
There is a time for both.

Copyright 2011 Jodene (Jodi) Shaw
Branching Out Art & Photography

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely two very important and profound life lessons all found in HIS Word. Well done His good and faithful servant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and so devotional as well...thanks for sharing your heart and soul so graciously...

    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodi, you have such a gift with words. Both pieces are simply beautiful. The piece and the words about those gloves and your husband is priceless. Reminds me of my Dad with his paintbrushes. I must do piece like this...wonderful.

    I recognize your bottom piece from our class? What a difference Soul Restoration is making in my life!!

    Love and light to you this day.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Welcome ~ share your beautiful thoughts.